Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hands that make something beautiful

I love poetry.
I have been in love with it for years.
Ever since middle school.
I read it quite often,
but still consider myself quite ignorant on many of the greats.

I have a book of poems that I find myself coming back to.
It was written by Jewel, called A Night Without Armor.
Some might be turned away by this but she was a damn good writer.
Some of these poems were written when she was quite young.

I used to have this book sitting by my bed at all times,
so when I would wake up in the middle of the night,
restless and unable to sleep, which happens quite often,
I could have it handy to read.

I have a whole book of poems I have written.
I may have two.
Middle school and high school was when I wrote them like crazy.
I remember one I wrote for my English class.
I think it had to be in Iambic pentameter.
I remember loving it. I was really proud of myself.
Much like I was when I finished my first real painting.

For some reason this popped into my head today.
My old poems and how I should be reading through them again.
Something might jump out at me.
I remember them being quite depressing though.
A friend of mine used to tell me I was unable to ever write a happy one.
I think he might have been right.

Maybe I will find one to post.
That would be interesting.
Is it sad that I am worried about copyrights?
I don't want anyone stealing my shit!

I miss the feeling of my pen in my hand as it glides across paper.
I used to be so good at just writing.
Pages and pages.
For hours.
I would stay up until the sun came up, sitting on my patio just writing.
Listening to everything around me.

I miss nights like that.
Being a little tipsy.
Smoking like a chimney.
But just writing and writing.

I remember this one specific blanket I used to wrap myself in,
because I knew I would be out there for hours.
My dog usually curled up at my feet.
At least one of us could sleep.

I will have to find some of those.
Post them.
Remember what it was like to be so inspired.
So motivated.


Sincerely unmotivated...
C

No comments: