Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Being gone...literally

I have been away from this for some time. Not sure who to write about and not sure if it was really even worth the effort. So today I am writing about music, but not about anyone specific. I have seen many bands in the time away, let's see how many I can remember...Airline, Billygoat Brink, Chris Holt, The Slack, Pet Hospital, Calhoun, Dave Little, The Monco Pancho, Salim Nourallah and the Noise (and solo), Fishing For Comets, Sarah Jaffe, Doug Burr, The King Bucks, The Backsliders, and I am sure many others.

The interesting thing I have noticed lately about music is that Dallas isn't really the best city to try and start a business out of music. Only few people leave Dallas with a major record deal or even their songs played on the radio. A friend of mine is in the works with Atlantic on a record deal and I couldn't be more proud and surprised. Not because these people don't deserve it, but because I know so many talented musicians that aren't getting record deals. For many years now I have dreamed of having my own radio station for these specific people. Local music wouldn't know what to do with themselves, having people know who they were and taking away from Top 40 music, which in my mind can suck it! I would just love for other people to hear the good music that I get to hear on a weekly basis. I know some might not share my enthusiasm for live music and that is fine, but I go to a very diverse group of shows. Surely someone will like one of them. There are some good advocates for Dallas music, such as the Gordon Keith show and the awards given by the Dallas Observer, but what else is really being done to help. Not a damn thing. It makes me sad.

No comments: